Have YOUR say on neighbourhood issues across Chelmsford

March 7, 2021 11:07 AM

Map of parishes in Chelmsford district (Chelmsford City Council)Chelmsford residents are being urged to back plans for strong, local voices for all neighbourhoods across the Chelmsford district. Chelmsford City Council is running a consultation (called a Community Governance Review) until 18th March 2021 and everyone is urged to give their views - at www.chelmsford.gov.uk/cgr

In Chelmsford, we have three tiers of local government:

  • Essex County Council
  • Chelmsford City Council
  • Parish councils - but not in every part of the district (there are 27 parishes in Chelmsford, see below and map)

Each tier looks after different public services and represents the concerns of residents. FInd out more about the different levels here.

Said Lib Dem Leader Cllr. Stephen Robinson, "The urban centre of Chelmsford misses out by not having a strong, neighbourhood voice on the very local issues. Decisions are best made at the lowest effective level. That's why we need that very local representation - for the urban area - that all the villages currently have.

"I urge residents to back that change in the review. Go to www.chelmsford.gov.uk/cgr, find How to Have Your Say and say YES at Question 7."

Why is the City Council carrying out this review?

These reviews are supposed to be carried out every 15 years or so but the last one in Chelmsford was well over 30 years ago. Since then, many villages and housing developments have grown. Many of these have crossed parish boundaries or have created new communities with their own local identity.

The role of parish and town councils has also developed significantly. Community Governance Reviews allow the City Council to make sure there are effective arrangements in place to hear the voice of the community. It also means that residents can check that parish and town councils can efficiently make use of their new powers and responsibilities.

Around 62% of the Chelmsford population have a town or parish council, as well as being represented by the City and County Councils. That leaves 38% of residents, who mainly live in the urban centre, without that very local voice for their neighbourhood.

The key questions the City Council wants to ask

  • If you don't have a parish council, would your local community benefit from having one?
  • If you do have a parish council, could the community governance arrangements be improved? This could be by changing the number of councillors or changing boundaries. Or is no change preferred?

Have your say

The City Council is asking everyone who lives, works or serves people in Chelmsford for their views. Parish councils should effectively represent the views, interests and concerns of the local communities they serve. The results of the consultation will help decide how your neighbourhood is represented in the future.

Fill out the consultation at www.chelmsford.gov.uk/cgr

List of Chelmsford parishes

East Hanningfield
Good Easter
Great and Little Leighs
Great Baddow
Great Waltham
Little Baddow
Little Waltham
South Hanningfield
South Woodham Ferrers (Town Council)
West Hanningfield
Woodham Ferrers and Bicknacre

How are parish councils funded? See this briefing page.